Thursday, August 25, 2011

Readings #1

I found the first reading on Technological Pedagogical  Content Knowledge: A Framework for Teacher Knowledge to be very interesting and really helpful to me as a teacher.  One of the reasons this reading was helpful is because as a teacher I feel like I spend more time trying to figure out how to incorporate technology into my classroom than I do trying to learn how to use the technology myself.  Content knowledge according to the readings is all teachers are usually expected to master before they can teach the area that they are certified in.  For me this reading has opened my eyes to how important technology is to not only me as a teacher but for my students as well. I also found another link you can use to find some information on this topic at TPCK Framework. Another link you might want to use to research the first reading a little bit more is TPCK 2.
I felt like the Design experiments are really important to understanding how to use technological pedagogical content knowledge in our classrooms.  I really liked how the authors used design experiments as a research methodology, by emphasizing the detailed implementation and the study of interventions with evolving pedagogical goals in rich authentic settings.  To me this means I can try design experiments in my own classroom because it is an authentic setting where I can use my content knowledge as well the knowledge I have in using technology.

I believe that the TPCK framework is the key in being used as a design pedagogical strategies that can help with studying the changes in educators knowledge about successful teaching with technology.  I took this right from the Conclusion page of the reading because I feel this statement is what we as teachers should be focusing in on when it comes to using technology in our content areas.  I also feel that this article can help with future research and curriculum development work in the area of teacher education and teacher professional development around technology.  Again, I got this statement from the Conclusion page of the reading and it really spoke to me in terms of how we as teachers need to spend more time learning how to use technology to incorporate it in our classrooms.
For the first reading I feel that ISTE NETS T standard that is closely related would be standard number five because it deals with Engaging in Professional Growth and Leadership.  I believe that standard number five goes along with this article because it has to do with participating in local and global communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning.  Keeping our students engaged while they are in our classrooms is a key in improving learning and incorporating technology can only help foster this engagement needed in our classrooms.  Another reason this standard is closest is because you want to be able to exhibit leadership by demonstrating a vision of technology infusion in your classroom as well as developing the leadership and technology skills of others.  The whole article talks about incorporating technology into your content knowledge, so the ultimate goal is to be a leader in the field of technology skills that you can help others use and add to their teaching styles.

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment