Wednesday, October 26, 2011

T Test and Data

This is my example of a  T-test for Gender and Blog Posts data look Here

This is my example of a T-test for Gender and Millennial Age data take a look Here

The next thing I want to share is the completed charts for our assignment.



 

The data for the top two charts, is what Dr. Pierce asked us to see if there was an impact between Chrome and IE on scores?  The top data chart indicated that these two had the least amount of impact on scores.


My original research question, hypothesis, and null hypothesis are:


Research Questions:
1. Why are the blog posts more for males than females considering there are fewer males in the class?
2. Why aren't the blog posts more for the females considering there are more females in the class?

Hypothesis:
1. Males have more blogs even though there a fewer because their millennial age score is lower.
2. Females have less blogs because their millennial age score is higher.

Null Hypothesis:
The Number of discussion postings is not dependent on how many males and females are in the class.

Independent Variable: Gender (sex)

Dependent Variables: Blog Posts and Millennial Age Score

Millennial Info.:
The females according to this data are considered to be Millennial because their Millennial Score was 73 or higher than 63%.  The males according to the data are also considered to be Millennial because the Millennial Score was 73 or higher than 42%.

Blog Posts
The first thing I did while trying to obtain the data I needed for my research was that I ran descriptive data for only the blog posts data.  By doing this I was able to find out the Median was 15, and from there I was able to formulate those who had 8 blog posts or higher and the Millennial score being 73 because of the 8 or more blog posts.  After finding this I was able to find those who had more blog posts and if there Millennial score was less than 73.  The next thing I did was broke it down between male and female due to the hypothesis I was using.  I feel the theory held true but my findings suggests that there is only one female that has 8 blog posts compared to 29 other male and female students who have 13 or more blog posts.  The males blog posting percentage was right around 43% where as the female blog posting was 59%.

I think my hypothesis was more true with a mix of male and female posting more than 8 blogs.  So females have less blog postings because their millennial score is higher than the males.  The males have more blog postings because their millennial score is lower than the females.

Regarding my null hypothesis I still believe it holds true because male blog posts are more than blog posts for females.


 This entire activity relates to standard number 5.  Because we were engaging in professional growth and leadership and in my case I do not always use Excel so it was something that I have grown to understand a little better.  I feel that T-test are a perfect example of standard 5 and we as teachers should learn how to use it because we can now test multiple variables instead of one.  I also think it relates to standard 5 because it is a tool that I am not familiar with and it engaged me in professional growth in terms of getting to know different tools to use for myself and for my classroom.  To see more of standard 5 go to ISTE NETS T.


THIS ASSIGNMENT WAS REALLY HARD AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO FRUSTRATED! BUT I AM GLAD I WENT THROUGH IT I KNOW MORE ABOUT EXCEL THEN I EVER HAVE BEFORE.

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment